Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week 5: "Now I see the Importance of History"

"Now I see the importance of history

Why people be in the mess that they be
Many journeys to freedom made in vain
By brothers on the corner playin ghetto games
I ask you lord why you enlightened me
Without the enlightment of all my folks
He said cuz I set myself on a quest for truth
And he was there to quench my thirst
But I am still thirsty..."
- Arrested Development; Tennessee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40c6iAEHpc

Our reading this week took us from the view from 30,000 feet straight down to the runway. Just as in the previous weeks, to me, rap is essentially focused on the African American's response to the political, social, and economic disparities in American society. The responses from the experts themselves vary from discontent of present society to the appreciation of the African American culture. Here, I wanted to further analyze two aspects of how politics molds the hip hop nation. First, how hip hop musicians influence present day African American culture. Second, the political impact rap has on the global community.

From the 1970's to the present, the hip hop culture has evolved out of the Bronx to the global community. In Todd Boyd's essay Check Yo Self Before You Wreck Yo Self: The Death of Politics in Rap Music and Popular Culture, the focus is on the immeasurable amount of influence rap has on American American culture. Commercialized rap, such as "gangsta rap" is an example of where politics (social construction) is openly rejected. However, beyond the "bitches and hos" terminology we can find some good in "gangsta rap". According to a study conducted by Emory University Rollins School of Public Heath, rappers such as Lil' Kim and the Goodie Mob have educated the African American youth about AIDS and safe sex through their lyrics (Kitwana, 348). Just another example of how the abstinence programs have shown to be an abysmal failure, but I'm off topic. I was decently surprised that Lil' Kim had any impact on anyone in all honestly, but I can see how exposure is the best form of education (in some manners).

Other hip hop artists such as Arrested Development are a response to the "gangsta rap" that dominates hip hop. They state that their music works towards "a more positive Afro-centric viewpoint that respects women, promotes family, spirituality, and male responsibility (http://www.arresteddevelopmentmusic.com/). Ice Cube in his music, which is more "gangsta" themed, focuses more on pointing out the contradictions in rap music.

Politically, the African American youth is central in American culture. Hip hop culture possesses a huge ability to influence social change. The images produced by the music videos, the styles worn by the rappers, the "tough" attitudes, the Ebonics language, and the high media prominence capture the transition from the golden years of hip hop to the state of decline where the hip hop underground was born. The overall tone of rap music is what forges the identity of the African American youth. While many citizens and politicians argue that the hip hop music image fuels sexism, violence, the relationship between rap and crime, and drug use. Advocators for rap music defend their right to free speech. To them, it is their ability to express their social discontent. It is a form of protest and a response to the economy, such as the War on Drugs.

Rappers such as Public Enemies and Kanye West are the modern day Black Panthers, Du Bois, and Malcolm X.

"Why am I fighting to live, if I'm just living to fight
Why am I trying to see, when there aint nothing in sight
Why I am I trying to give, when no one gives me a try
Why am I dying to live, if I'm just living to die?"
- Tupa Shakur; Runnin'

Summit 2001
http://www.hsan.org/content/main.aspx?pageid=7

No comments:

Post a Comment